Confession- I love Chinese take-out! I know, I know…but it’s just so darn tasty and comes with FREE Tupperware. How can one say “No”? The better part of me discerns the good taste from the low quality ingredients so I figured it was time to make a healthier version of my favorite menu #. The only downside to this homemade dish is the absence of fortune cookies, but I will surely attempt to make those another day. Enjoy!
*Use organic if possible*
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 c. Ketchup
- 2 T. Chili Sauce
- 1 T. Soy Sauce
- 1 T. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Brown Sugar
- 3 T. Water
- 1 lb. Extra Firm Tofu, rinsed & pressed to dry, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ c. All-purpose flour (gluten-free)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- ½ c. Canola oil
- 1 c. White Rice, cooked (*optional)
- In a medium bowl, coat the tofu cubes with 1 T. soy sauce and let set for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rest of the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in another bowl and roll tofu cubes in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add tofu to skillet in a single layer. Cook until crispy and browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel covered plate to absorb excess oil.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the sauce. Cook for ~5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over a plate of rice.